The Government’s response leaves renters and homeowners whose income is no longer secure facing an uncertain future.
A home is a human right. But the impacts of COVID-19 are set to cause a housing crisis as people around the country struggle to pay rent or their mortgage and make ends meet.
In the coming months millions of workers who have lost their jobs or will be working reduced hours are going to be at risk of emerging from this crisis with thousands of dollars in debt hanging over their heads. Governments are just kicking the can down the road, setting us on a path of near-certain disaster in six-months time when millions of renters and mortgage holders could face thousands of dollars in unpaid bills as their savings dwindle and unemployment skyrockets.
The Government needs to be doing more to leave no one behind and protect us from rental and mortgage debt.
The Greens have already helped secure:
- ✅ An eviction ban to protect renters, nationwide. Thousands of people added their voice to our campaign. We kicked off changes in NSW and TAS state parliaments. We wrote to the PM, Premiers and Chief Ministers' National Cabinet, and within days an agreement had been reached. This is people power.
- ✅ Additional income support for people on Newstart and Students on Youth Allowance, Austudy and Abstudy. All these groups get an additional $550 COVID supplement during the crisis, and a temporarily lift on mutual obligation requirements until 27 April 2020.
Now we are fighting for:
- Rental holidays and waivers for rent arrears with debt relief and increased support to prevent huge rental debts down the track
- A national freeze on rent rises now and after the pandemic
- Mortgage relief where needed with no interest accrual, a ban on foreclosures and a freeze on owners' credit ratings
- Funding for emergency housing for people experiencing homelessness
- A big investment in the construction of more social housing
To get through this crisis we all need to work together to support each other. The Greens will keep fighting to make sure everyone has a roof over their head.
We can't leave anyone behind. Sign our petition to add your voice to the fight.