The Government stimulus package leaves renters and homeowners whose income is no longer secure facing an uncertain future.
A home is a human right. But the impacts of COVID-19 are set to cause a housing crisis as people around the country struggle to pay rent or their mortgage and make ends meet.
In the coming months millions of workers who have lost their jobs or will be working reduced hours are going to be at risk of falling behind on their rent or losing their homes. The Government should not be leaving people behind as they deal with the consequences of the coronavirus.
The Greens have already helped secure:
- ✅ An eviction ban to protect renters, nationwide. Thousands of people added their voice to our campaign. We kicked off changes in NSW and TAS state parliaments. We wrote to the PM, Premiers and Chief Ministers' National Cabinet, and by Sunday agreement had been reached. This is people power.
- ✅ Additional income support for people on Newstart and Students on Youth Allowance, Austudy and Abstudy. All these groups get an additional $550 COVID supplement during the crisis, and a temporarily lift on mutual obligation requirements until 27 April 2020.
Now we are fighting for:
- Stronger protection for mortgage-holders and renters with access to mortgage holidays and rent holidays if people need them
- An increase to Centrelink rent assistance
- Funding for emergency housing for people experiencing homelessness
To get through this crisis we all need to work together to support each other. The Greens will keep fighting to make sure everyone has a roof over their head.
We can't leave anyone behind. Sign our petition to add your voice to the fight.