The Government stimulus package leaves many students facing an uncertain future. Right now students are waiting to hear if their courses will be offered online and if they’ll be able to meet their course requirements if face to face components, like pracs, are cancelled.
Many students also rely on casual jobs in the retail, hospitality and the creative industries - many of which will be hard hit by the social distancing requirements over the next few months. The Government must act now to ensure that our students are not facing months of uncertainty and financial stress.
The Greens have a plan to make this stimulus package fair for students. We're asking the government to improve the stimulus package to include:
- Continued access to Youth Allowance, even if Universities and TAFEs close or do not offer courses online
- No rental evictions during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Support international students and all postgraduates by giving them access to income support
- An increase to rent assistance
- More mental health services
This crisis is likely to last for many months and people who are currently studying need to know that they won’t be left out in the cold during this time.
The Greens will keep fighting for students and anyone forgotten by the government. #COVID_19 affects everyone. We can't leave anyone behind. Sign our petition to add your voice to the fight.