|JOB TITLE:||Media Adviser|
|ORGANISATION:||Office of the Leader of the Australian Greens & Member for Melbourne, Adam Bandt|
|SALARY:||$79,866 - $95,796 (depending on prior experience)|
|ALLOWANCES:||$29,862.00 (Parliamentary Staff Allowance)|
|REPORTS TO:||Director of Communications & Leader|
Australian Greens Leader Adam Bandt is seeking a driven media or public relations professional to join his Communications Team, as key position within a small team that works in a high-paced, dynamic work environment.
This position works directly with the Leader and Chief of Staff to develop and execute the Leader’s media strategy and provide advice on media appearances and messaging to the Leader - as well as responding to interview requests, writing media releases and other content for publication including digital content. This position will also work with the Communications team to organise media conferences and events, and to monitor breaking news. The Media Adviser will be expected to accompany the Leader on official business as required and therefore can expect to work irregular hours and to travel regularly.
The position will be based in Melbourne and require frequent travel to Canberra and interstate.
PAY and CONDITIONS
The position is offered under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984, and employment conditions are outlined in the Commonwealth Members of Parliament Staff Collective Agreement 2016 - 2019. In addition to your salary, generous employer-sponsored superannuation of 15.4% is offered.
The position is offered at an Assistant Adviser classification ($79,866 - $95,796 per annum) with an additional Parliamentary Staff Allowance of $29,862 per annum for a total per annum salary range of $109,728 - $125,658.
All employees are expected to sign a confidentiality and code of conduct agreement prior to the commencement of their employment. A probationary period of 3 months, with the option of extending by a maximum of two months, will apply.
This is an ongoing position, but please note that all Leader's Office positions are open to restructure following an election or change of leadership.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide media advice and support directly to the Leader and work closely with the Leader and his senior team to execute media tactics on a daily basis
- Coordinate media appearances by the Leader.
- Lead media liaison, including fielding incoming requests, developing and managing good working relationships with journalists, producers and editors
- Write content for publication, media releases, briefs, packages, opinion pieces, etc.
- Work across Greens MPs' Offices to execute and coordinate media events: press conferences, policy announcements, media events with stakeholders, etc.
- Ensure MPs and staff are kept informed of important breaking news, and contribute to daily media monitoring (as part of a rostered team)
- Write and distribute content for publication, e.g. media releases, briefs, packages, opinion pieces
- Capture content of the Leader (photos, video) for upload to digital channels and draft and update digital channels with relevant content (instagram, twitter, facebook etc)
- Be available after hours and on weekends to support digital content posting and moderating needs of the Leader (within reason and as part of a rostered team).
- Highly developed written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience of working with the media within a political, community or lobbying organisation, or as a media professional.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Australian media landscape across all media (radio, television, print and online).
- Basic digital content posting skills (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and an ability to capture photos and simple videos while travelling with the Leader
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and work to tight deadlines in a fast-paced team environment.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Australian Greens' policies.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated capacity to comprehend complex issues, think strategically and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Experience in developing and implementing media strategies.
- Commitment to the Australian Greens' Principles and Charter.
Please email your application, inclusive of your response to the selection criteria, using the subject line: APPLICATION - Media Adviser to firstname.lastname@example.org. We prefer applications to be submitted as a single PDF file, using your name as the file reference. Applications close, 01 April 2020
If you wish to have a confidential discussion about the role before applying, you can contact Jess McColl, Director of Communications, on 0422 912 098
The Office of Adam Bandt MP recognises the value of, and strongly supports the principles of equal employment opportunities in the workplace. We aim to recruit a diverse range of people with a diverse range of talents to help us achieve our shared goals.