Media & Communications Adviser
|Work base:||Wurundjeri Country, Melbourne|
|Travel:||Regular travel to Canberra during Parliamentary sitting weeks|
|Salary range:||$77,926 per annum, plus 15% superannuation|
|Allowances:||$12,087 per annum Electorate Staff Allowance|
|Position classification:||Ongoing full time, Electorate Officer B|
|Applications close:||Sunday 16 May 2021, 11.59pm|
About the role
Victorian Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe is seeking a driven media or public relations professional to join her team. This is a key position within a small team that works in a high-paced, dynamic work environment.
This position works directly with the Senator and Chief of Staff to develop and execute the Senator’s media and communications strategy, targeting key audiences across a range of platforms and outlets.
The Media & Communications Adviser will provide advice on media appearances and messaging, as well as responding to interview requests, writing media releases and other content for publication, including digital content.
This position will manage and integrate the Senator’s social media platforms, coordinate digital content production for those platforms, and support the social media moderator/community manager in our team.
The Media & Communications Adviser will be expected to support and accompany the Senator at media appointments or events as required and therefore can expect to work irregular hours.
The position will be based in Melbourne and require frequent travel to Canberra during Parliament sitting weeks.
Pay and conditions
The position is offered under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984, and employment conditions are outlined in the Members of Parliament (Staff) Enterprise Agreement 2016-2019.
The position is an ongoing full-time role offered at an Electorate Officer B classification with a salary of $77,926 per annum plus 15% superannuation.
The role attracts an additional Electorate Staff Allowance of $12,087 per annum, in recognition of reasonable additional hours of work and travel outside of business hours.
Costs of travel are covered by the office, and a daily allowance is provided for staff when travelling for work purposes.
Key work areas
- Communications strategy development and implementation
- Messaging design and audience targeting
- Media liaison, management and interviews
- Social media and web content management
Personal qualities we're seeking
- Flexibility and initiative
- Enthusiasm, confidence and self-direction
- Ability to work effectively and amicably under pressure
- A respect for sensitive and confidential information
- Personality to form a close rapport with the Senator and quickly develop an appreciation of her communications style and persona
- Highly developed written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience of working with the media within a political, community or lobbying organisation, or as a media professional
- Demonstrated understanding of personal brand management
- Demonstrated understanding of the Australian media landscape across all media
(radio, television, print and online)
- Experience in developing and implementing media and communication strategies
- Strong digital content management skills (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) and an ability to capture photos and videos while staffing the Senator
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and work to tight deadlines in a fast-paced team environment
- Understanding of the context of Aboriginal rights and interests within Australian society and culture
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Australian Greens' policies, and the wider Australian political context
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated capacity to comprehend complex issues, think strategically and adapt to changing circumstances
- Commitment to the Australian Greens' Principles and Charter
If you feel you meet most, but not all, of the selection criteria, please don’t be discouraged from applying.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please provide:
- Responses to the selection criteria (dot points or short responses are fine)
- Your CV (maximum 3 pages) or a link to an online résumé, and
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page) noting your motivation to apply and why you’d be a good fit for the role
All these application documents should be submitted as one PDF file.
Applications should be forwarded via email using the subject line: Application – Media and Communications Adviser to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Sunday 16 May, 11.59pm
As part of the application process, shortlisted candidates will be asked to interview, and we’ll also ask you to undertake a short written exercise. Interviews will be conducted via video conference. The anticipated start date of this role is mid-June to early July.
For more information or a confidential discussion, please contact Georgia Webster, email@example.com (Acting Chief of Staff)
Please note all employees are expected to sign a confidentiality and code of conduct agreement prior to the commencement of their employment. A probationary period of 3 months will apply.
The Australian Greens encourage applications from any interested and qualified people. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply. We don’t discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome people with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply for all our roles.