For too long, animals have been treated exclusively as a source of food or amusement for humans.
It is unacceptable that, every day, animals are made to suffer for corporate profits, gambling, entertainment and agriculture.
The animals we share this planet with are sentient beings capable of feeling and suffering. We have a duty of care to minimise the suffering of animals resulting from human activity – and we stand with the majority who want to see an end to animal cruelty in NSW.
The Greens plan to:
- Create an office of animal welfare;
- Immediately ban greyhound racing;
- Investigate abuse and cruelty in the horse racing industry;
- Shut down puppy farms, backyard breeding and other intensive for-profit companion animal breeding;
- Phase out research funding for animal experimentation in scientific and medical research;
- Ensure access to shade for farm animals;
- Introduce CCTV cameras to monitor for cruel, unlawful practices in animal farming facilities;
- Ban battery cages, de-beaking and forced moulting of hens;
- Introduce legislation to ban cruel and unnecessary sow stalls; and
- Strengthen penalties under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.
Animals may not be able to speak, but we can be their voice. Sign the petition now to support our campaign to end animal cruelty.