About the role
Greens MP David Shoebridge is seeking a passionate and engaged person to join his team in the role of Policy and Media Advisor, working 3 or 4 days per week and based at the NSW Parliament office in Sydney.
Our office focuses on policy areas of: Climate change, Attorney General and Justice, Aboriginal Justice, Child Protection, Firearms, Crown Lands, Workers Rights and Insurance, Local Government, Illawarra and South Coast.
The successful applicant will work as part of a small team developing a strong community, media and parliamentary presence on each of these policy areas.
Potential applicants are encouraged to visit facebook.com/DavidShoebridgeMLC to develop an understanding of the work of the office.
- Commitment to Greens principles of Grassroots Democracy, Peace and Non-Violence, Environmental Sustainability and Social Justice.
- Excellent communication skills, including well-developed interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to work positively as a member of a small team including demonstrated initiative, collaborative work practice and a proven capacity to work unsupervised and meet strict deadlines.
- Media and social media skills with compelling writing and political messaging.
- Proven analytical skills and sound experience in undertaking research and presenting concise briefings.
- Sound office administration skills and experience in using technology, including social media and web-based applications.
- Demonstrated experience or interest in activism and/or community campaigns, particularly for social and environmental justice.
- Understanding of parliamentary functions, including the passage of legislation and workings of Government and/or State politics.
- Experience in, or demonstrated detailed understanding of one or more of the following policy areas with relevance to NSW: Attorney General and Justice, Aboriginal Justice, Child Protection, Corrective Services, Crown Lands, Industrial Relations and Insurance, Local Government, Newcastle, Hunter and Central Coast, Planning and Heritage, Police and Emergency Services (including gun control).
- Proficiency with InDesign Photoshop Premiere Pro, photography and filming is not essential but would be looked upon favourably.
Pay and conditions
Salary: Up to $58,291 (3 days) or $77,721 (4 days) per annum (depending on skills and experience), plus employer's contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading
Primary location: Office of David Shoebridge, Greens NSW Member of the Legislative Council, in the Parliament of NSW, Sydney CBD
Organisation/Entity: Parliament of New South Wales – Legislative Council
Hours: Part-time (3 or 4 days per week)
Status: 6 months contract with possibility of extension
Position begins: Immediately
Applications close COB Friday 5 March. Shortlisted applicants will ideally be available for interview between 15 and 19 March.
If you feel you meet most, but not all, of the key criteria, please do not be dissuaded from applying. We actively promote a diverse workplace. NSW Parliament is an accessible workplace and accommodations can be made where needed.
To apply, please provide:
- Responses to the attached key criteria (no more than 2 pages)
- Your CV (maximum 3 pages)
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page) noting how your experience is relevant and why you’d be a good fit for the role.
- Please submit your application as one PDF file.
Inquiries about the position can be made to the office at email@example.com or on 02 9230 3030.