Community sport and recreation supports individual and community physical and mental health and wellbeing.
- Community sport and recreation supports individual and community physical and mental health and wellbeing.
- A diverse range of community sport and recreation opportunities should be available to and inclusive of all Victorians, irrespective of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, socio-economic background or sporting ability.
- The State Government must ensure that local community sporting and recreational facilities, services and infrastructure are available to all Victorians.
- Sport and physical recreation are an essential part of Australian culture.
- Participation in sport plays an important role in the development of social, organisational and communication skills.
- Community-based sporting clubs and associations are an integral part of our society.
- The staging of sporting events and the building of sporting facilities must minimise ecological impacts.
- Increasing semi-professionalization of community sport harms the financial sustainability and community focus of local sporting clubs.
- Facilities wholly funded by the community should be accessible to all community members, regardless of club membership.
The Australian Greens Victoria will work towards:
Community Sport and Recreational Facilities
- Appropriate support and resourcing for local sports clubs and community facilities.
- To encourage mentor programs between established sports clubs and smaller community clubs.
- An increased promotion of women’s sport and recreation.
- Support for sporting clubs to educate their members on the harms of performance-enhancing drugs.
- Support for local government to provide accessible, well-resourced and safe sporting and physical recreation facilities to the community.
- To mandate the provision, design and access of sport and recreation facilities for all Victorians, regardless of specific gender, disability, cultural or religious requirements.
- To encourage gender balance in local sports club operations and activities, including in management structures.
- Better resourcing of physical recreation and promotion of participation in local clubs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Sporting clubs to be required to establish and implement an inclusiveness plan for participants with diverse cultural, religious, gender or disability requirements.
- To prioritize sustainable sport and recreation in the community sector by fostering research, providing assistance on sustainable practices and promoting best practice.
Community Health and Wellbeing
- Through conditions on financial support for community clubs and competitions, to encourage a culture of respect for women and to discourage the excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Development of innovative public education programs that promote the benefits of whole-of-life physical activity.
- Funding of programs that focus on sports injury prevention.
- To reduce deaths by drowning, that all children should be taught to swim at school and should be competent in water survival skills as young as possible.