About this role
The Victorian Greens are looking for a Communications Coordinator who thrives in a busy environment to work on our upcoming federal election campaign. In this role you will deliver communications for the Victorian state party, and work with a team to come up with new digital ways to reach persuadable voters. You will be a fast and on-message copywriter with experience using social media and mass communications tools, and you’re curious about how we can use new platforms and tactics to grow the Greens movement.
Full time (part time negotiable), fixed term contract, with some evening and weekend work as required
Assistant Staff Level 1 - Professional Staff Level 3 ($61,709 - $67,881) plus 10% super, depending on experience and qualifications.
Australian Greens State Office, Melbourne CBD
Two weeks after the next Federal election, which could occur between August 2021 and May 2022.
|Midnight 20th June 2021|
About thE VICTORIAN GREENS
The Victorian Greens are a political party based on four key principles: ecological sustainability, grassroots democracy, social justice and peace and non-violence. Our movement is focused on delivering the plans we need to ensure that everyone has a good life. We're committed to ensuring that all people are treated equally, that our environment is protected, and that big donors can no longer buy the influence of politicians and governments.
The Communications Officer will make the most of our messaging research and design resources to deliver communications for our election campaign. Working with the Communications Director and Engagement Team, you’ll play a key role in innovating our digital voter contact.
You will be responsible for ensuring that:
- Victorian Greens social media channels are filled with timely, engaging content
- Supporters receive emails that give them meaningful ways to join our movement
- Our website is up-to-date and useful
- We learn from how our digital communications are performing
Messaging and copywriting
- Our local campaign teams have access to up-to-date messaging and content
- Engaging copy is written about our candidates, campaigns, events and actions
Digital voter contact
- Voters are hearing from us in new and engaging ways online
- We’re trying new ways to reach people in a busy election environment
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t have all of the relevant skills. We’re looking for someone organised and thorough and with passion for our movement, which we prioritise over formal education or qualifications.
We’re committed to diversity and supporting the right person to thrive in this role. For a confidential conversation about this role or the recruitment process, please contact Jessica Wheelock at email@example.com.
Key selection criteria
- Values alignment: Commitment to the Greens policies, charter and core values - ecological sustainability, grassroots participatory democracy, social justice and peace and non-violence - and a passion for our movement.
- Digital communications: Demonstrated experience using social media, mass email tools, and basic web content management.
- Systems experience: Experience using systems such as contact databases and mass email tools, including Drupal, CiviCRM and Nation Builder (or similar).
- Communications: Communication skills, especially copywriting, editing and adapting content for different audiences and platforms
- Curiosity: An interest in trying new things and innovating our digital communications.
- Team work/rapport building skills: Experience in working in various teams, especially working well with others in a busy and ever-changing environment.
- Outcomes-driven: Demonstrated experience in solving problems, meeting goals and achieving results under time pressure.
- Judgement: Commitment to discretion, confidentiality and sound political judgement.
Bonus points for
- Lived experience or connections to First Nations justice, racial justice, LGBTQIA+ justice, disability justice or gendered justice movements.
- Youth-focused and innovative digital comms: meme-making, TikTok, problem solving and innovating
- Reporting: Digital reporting, dashboard-building, and analytics
- Training delivery experience: Demonstrated experience in developing training resources, guides and materials as well as delivering volunteer training events.
- Working with volunteers: Experience in a volunteer- or member-led organisation
Why work for the Victorian Greens?
We offer a friendly, flexible and supportive workplace. Some great reasons to join the Victorian Greens team include:
- Making a meaningful contribution to the political movement for people and the planet
- Flexibility to negotiate working hours and some work from home
- Four weeks of annual leave a year, bonus leave between Christmas and New Years Day, and flexible leave for cultural holidays
- Above-average personal leave, including additional paid provisions for mental health and domestic and family violence leave
- Superannuation contribution of 10%
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and wellbeing support
How to apply
Expressions of interest will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
You will need to be signed into a Google account to apply for this role. CLICK HERE to lodge your expression of interest and upload a CV. Enquiries about the role should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not require a cover letter or additional selection criteria response from applicants. Applications that are not through this form will not be considered.
The Victorian Greens acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia and recognise their continuing connection to land, waters and culture. We acknowledge that these lands were stolen and sovereignty was never ceded. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging.