Animals are sentient beings capable of feeling and suffering, and the welfare of animals must be respected.
We have a responsibility to minimise any physical, psychological and emotional suffering caused to animals by our actions.
Sue Pennicuik is the Victorian Greens’ spokesperson for Animal Welfare. The Greens in State Parliament are fighting for:
- The establishment of an independent regulatory body for animal welfare
- An end to cruel factory farming practices, including sow stalls, cage hens and puppy farms
- Restriction of the sale of live animals to authorised, regulated breeders and shelters, encouraging responsible pet ownership
- Abolition of cruel practises in sport, recreation and entertainment, including rodeos, circuses and jumps racing
- Prohibition of native duck shooting and hunting on public land
- Humane methods of eliminating harmful or invasive pest species such as fencing