Hi, I’m Suki, I have been a public school teacher for ten years, I am a mother of two young girls, and a law student.
I’m excited to stand for council because I want to help our community face challenges like climate change, the housing and cost of living crises.
I feel passionately about protecting our climate and keeping our city cool. I love living in Darwin and want community members like me to have a voice in local government.
I am also deeply concerned about the gas expansion agenda of the Territory Government and how this threatens the liveability of this beautiful place I call my home.
I want to use my role on local council to elevate these issues and be a voice for those who want their government to act for community and not for big corporations.
As a councillor for Lyons, I will aim to:
- Support developments that benefit both the community and the environment.
- Promote smarter, community-led justice programs that will help young people break cycles of disadvantage.
- Make our city more bike friendly.
- Advocate for more green public spaces.
- Help tackle the housing crisis faced by so many in Darwin.
- Advocate against land clearing of endangered ecosystems.
I am keen to hear more from the members of Lyons Ward and from the Darwin community as a whole to ensure I can best represent their concerns if I am elected to council.