I’m Bernadette Thomas.
As our community grows I want to ensure that it grows equally for all.
Climate change is impacting on our community. An active local response to the climate emergency should improve sustainable transport, reduce energy use, and engage and involve local residents and businesses.
The threat of industrial scale fires from illegal management of waste continues to be real, and we continue to feel the impacts from the 2018 Tottenham fire. Our community deserves stronger action to prevent pollution incidents from affecting human health and the environment, and on ensuring compliance with current laws.
Meaningful engagement with the community on important issues that impact on the lives of residents is key to creating our sustainable future together. Enhancing the participation of locals in key decision making processes will avoid decisions that divide and cause angst within the community.
It is vital that everyone has access to an affordable, safe, comfortable home. We must work with housing organisations and our community to find new and innovative ways to ensure housing for all.
Gambling harm continues to seriously impact on our community both socially and economically. We must do more to change laws to give the community a say over poker machines in Maribyrnong.
I’m committed to working collaboratively with the community to:
- ensure Council responds to the Climate Emergency and supports the community to act
- hold the government to account to protect public health and the environment from polluting industries and industrial scale fires
- improve Council consultation with the community, ensuring meaningful engagement before decisions are made
- strengthen Council advocacy to reduce the harm from gambling
- provide support for a range of housing options to enable safe, affordable, secure and energy efficient housing
I've been an active volunteer for many years supporting local environment and social justice causes and projects, and have over 20 years experience working in local government and the community sector managing environment, waste and landfill, and community engagement programs.
I’ll represent you honestly and with passion and enthusiasm, building trusted relationships and networks across the community.