Hi, I’m Stephen Hart, the only Greens Councillor in Colac Otway Shire.
My partner and I have lived permanently in Lavers Hill, off the grid with solar power, for over twenty years.
I graduated in Economics at Monash University. I was first elected in 2002 and re-elected in 2008, 2012 and 2016. I have served on Council’s Audit Committee, the Library Board, G21 Education Pillar and Environment Pillar. In 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2017 I was Deputy Mayor and, in 2012, Mayor.
I work to represent all communities throughout the municipality. This includes non-resident ratepayers. It is important that non-resident ratepayers exercise their optional vote.
Key achievements include:
- Solar panel installations of over 270 kilowatts installed on Council buildings;
- Council’s electricity from 100% renewables;
- Recordings of Council’s meetings since November 2019 available to the public;
- Part of the former Colac Library building turned into a community arts space;
- Decision that libraries will become part of the Geelong Regional Library group; and
- Record low Council debt. Under $1 million.
Public libraries play a part in addressing disadvantage. As a passionate supporter of libraries, I will work to ensure the transition to the Geelong Regional Library group provides an even better library service.
I accept the scientific consensus on climate change. I will work to ensure that Council becomes carbon neutral. Council has the plan. It just takes the will to fully implement it. Working towards net zero emissions across the community is also a priority.
The Apollo Bay Early Years Hub, completing the ‘City Deal’ improvements along the coast and improving public open space are priorities.
I am keen to support community driven projects that are consistent with the principles of a healthy environment, healthy people and fairness.
- Stephen's financial management credentials, leadership skills and his vision for a sustainable future have served the community successfully for more than ten years. — Nasser Kotb, Forrest
- Stephen is an honest, capable, concerned and experienced councillor. He is a good listener and a conscientious advocate. He has supported us in Apollo Bay to achieve our indoor, heated pool through his encouragement, persistence and help to navigate council processes. We need more councillors like Stephen Hart. — Jane Gross, Apollo Bay
- Stephen advocates for my community on the things that are important to me. He keeps me in the loop and keeps council relevant. His achievements are proof of his value to our region. — Gillian Brew, Forrest