Our branches are part of the Greens grassroots approach to democracy
Joining the Greens Party means having access to a local Greens branch. Based on local government areas, these hubs are vital avenues for our members to talk about politics and policy, join local campaigning, keep up to date with local issues and have direct access to Greens representatives.
Most of all, local Greens branches are a way for our members to join like-minded people, fellow Victorians who are also passionate about progressive Australian politics. Greens members are extraordinary people and by providing them with the space to foster proactive political and social change, the Greens aim to instil a long legacy of making a difference in the community.
All Victorian Greens members are automatically members of the Australian Greens. Being a part of our growing party means together, through the principles and aims of the Greens, we can stand up for what matters.
You can contact the Yarra Greens via email email@example.com.
Our achievements on Yarra City Council
With Greens Councillors in Yarra, we have achieved incredible things:
- A Climate Emergency Plan to reduce carbon emissions and save on energy bills
- More separated bike lanes
- Recognition of the proud history of traditional owners in our response to January 26th
- Reduced the number of cars on our streets
- An Urban Forest Strategy to cool the city
- Live streaming council meetings for transparent democracy
- A Nature Strategy to protect wildlife
- A Supervised Injecting Facility to save lives and Peacemaking Project
- Legal protection for the Yarra River Corridor
- New parks in areas of rapid growth
- State government commitment to new a bridge at Walmer Street
- More support for artists and art spaces
Our policies for the future of Yarra City Council
The Greens believe in putting people and the environment first. Our policies are geared towards building resilient communities, to ensure an inclusive, democratic, socially just, liveable and climate-safe future for all.
Local government helps shape our local communities, and in Yarra, the Greens will lead solutions from a local level that accelerate our climate emergency response and ensure equitable pandemic recovery by investing in thriving neighbourhoods and local economies. We will ensure that council resources are channeled to improve health, liveability and amenity for all residents, while protecting and enhancing our urban ecology and biodiversity.
On Yarra Council, we will be open to new ideas and be informed by best practice. We will work collaboratively, and we will be willing to take ambitious action to represent our communities.