Tragic overdose death could have been prevented had pill testing been implemented


The Victorian Greens have said the tragic death of a festival-goer over the weekend could have been prevented had the Victorian Labor Government implemented pill testing.

The Greens say that while untested pills masquerading as party drugs like MDMA continue to circulate in the community, young people will be at risk of drug-related overdose and death.

The new Premier has previously indicated she’s considering pill testing, but every day she delays action more and more young people are being put at risk.

Quotes attributable to Victorian Greens drug harm reduction spokesperson, Aiv Puglielli MLC:

"It is devastating to hear about a young life being lost over the weekend while the new Premier sits idle. 

“Pill testing services play a crucial role in preventing this tragic loss of life.

"Even with pure MDMA we've seen how extreme heat can deal a deadly blow. So with untested drugs circulating, this was truly a disaster waiting to happen.

“If we want to prevent more overdoses we need pill testing established on-site at music festivals as a matter of urgency.”