Hello. I'm Alida McKern. I work in urban planning and have lived in the City of Banyule for more than 17 years.
I’m a landscape architect. I’m also a Mum. I’ve lived, worked and raised my family in Ivanhoe and I love our place and people.
I’ve volunteered for more than 20 local groups working in our community, environment, sports, schools and church – as well as completing Banyule City Council’s leadership program in community sustainability.
I have the experience needed to make things happen. I’ve worked closely for and with councils for years and know how they operate. Through my experience in private practice, I know how to work with people, make every dollar count and get the job done.
The more involved I’ve become, the more local people I’ve met, the more I’ve listened, the more I’ve come to believe that residents are concerned about the changing nature of our area.
Residents are telling me they want:
- Better development
- Leafy neighbourhoods
- More community decision-making.
I'm your councillor for Chelsworth Ward to protect and enhance the qualities that make Ivanhoe such a great place to live.
Our community’s values are reflected in my priorities for a leafy, locally connected, safe and prosperous Ivanhoe.
I will support:
- Development sympathetic to local neighbourhood character
- Protection and enhancement of our trees, parks, waterways, and cycling and walking paths
- Giving local people a more effective voice on the shape of Ivanhoe’s future with more community led decision-making.
- Local community and sporting clubs including support for The Ivanhoe Sports
- Initiatives to stimulate local businesses and retail traders – including enhancement of our shopping strips
- Reducing rate rises and demanding effective council budgeting to maintain the quality and diversity of services Ivanhoe residents expect.
My focus on local neighbourhoods, parks, community engagement, local economy, and service delivery will be informed by the urgent need for action on climate change to sustain Banyule’s most liveable community into the future.
I’d love your support and I wish to hear from you as to how we can work together for the best possible Ivanhoe and Banyule. In the meantime, please stay safe from COVID-19.