The Government stimulus package leaves many performing artists, musicians, writers and their crews facing an uncertain future.
As festivals and large events are cancelled because of COVID-19 we need to make sure people working in these industries are looked after.
Less than two months ago thousands of artists, performers and technicians from across the country rallied around bushfire victims and affected communities - to host fundraisers to help people get back on their feet - now these same artists need our help.
The Greens are asking the government to improve the stimulus package to include:
- $1 billion emergency package to save our creative industries from collapse and future proof them
- Restore funding to the Australia Council and establish new funding streams for grants to individuals and small organisations, not for profits and community groups
- No rental evictions or increases during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Increased rent assistance
- Waive waiting periods and job test requirements to make it simpler to access income support payments
- More mental health services
Our creative and cultural industries are on the frontline of the COVID-19 fallout with events across the country cancelled and theatres, concerts and festivals effectively shut down.
The Greens will keep fighting for artists, musicians, writers and their crew and anyone forgotten by the government. #COVID_19 affects everyone. We can't leave anyone behind. Sign our petition to add your voice to the fight.