All of us, including people who are fleeing war-torn countries, have the right to live free from danger, be treated with dignity and be given help when we need it most.
If only the major parties understood. Instead, Liberal and Labor governments have spent the past five years locking up people in offshore hellholes, perpetrating human rights abuses and separating families who have asked for our help -- all in a cruel attempt to win votes and divide our community.
Unlike them, the Greens will always defend the rights of innocent people held in indefinite detention. We won’t stop fighting until the camps are closed and every person trapped is provided refuge in Australia.
- End offshore detention on Manus Island and Nauru
- Increase Australia’s humanitarian intake to 50,000 per year
- Establish a regional solution for people seeking asylum, including assessing people’s claims for protection in partner countries in a timely manner
- Introduce a 7 day limit for onshore detention and provide fair support for people seeking asylum to live with dignity in the community
- Abolish Temporary Protection Visas and reintroduce Permanent Protection Visas for refugees
- Establish a Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program, in addition to our humanitarian intake
- Establish a Royal Commission into Australia’s immigration detention regime