Injustice against First Nations people did not end with the 1967 referendum. It did not end with the apology to the Stolen Generations. It will not end until we dismantle the systemic racism that allows for injustice and tell the truth about Australia’s history.
Everyone should be able to live their lives being treated equally and fairly, and given a chance to thrive, regardless of their race.
But that’s not the case for Aboriginal people in this country.
Hundreds of Aboriginal people have died in police custody and no one has been held to account. Aboriginal literacy and health track well below the rest of the population. Aboriginal children are still being removed from their families. Aboriginal people are the most incarcerated population on the planet – including kids as young as 10 years old.
A fair Nation means justice and equality for all, including First Nations people.
The Greens are working alongside First Nations communities to campaign for:
- Treaty, to right the wrongs of this Nation’s past and move forward together
- An end to deaths in custody and the mass incarceration of First Nations peoples, by investing in community, not prisons
- Raising the age of criminal responsibility to stop any Australian child as young as 10 being jailed
- Caring for country and ensuring consent from First Nations people so corporations like Rio Tinto can’t destroy land, water and sacred sites
- Tackling the climate crisis by implementing the solutions we already know will work, getting this country to transition out of coal, oil & gas and into clean energy
- Reversing the entrenched economic inequality that this pandemic has highlighted – ensuring everyone has an income they can live on, that we provide health, education, housing, mental health and essential services to everyone – not just those who can afford it.
Sign up today to join our campaign.