The South Australian Royal Commission into the Murray Darling Basin Plan has show it to be a multi-billion dollar environmental disaster for our nation.
$13 billion of taxpayers' money was meant to go to saving the river. Instead, the Murray Darling is in crisis and big corporate irrigators are lining their pockets.
The Australian Greens are the only party that has opposed the Murray Darling Basin Plan from the outset, when it was clear that it put profit and special interests ahead of science and the environment.
Our Plan Will:
- Establish a national royal commission
- Overhaul the Murray Darling Basin Plan, putting the environment at the centre
- Ensure that any future modelling is done in the context of climate change
- Ban corporate irrigator donations to political parties - including the Nationals
- Ensure that any new plan delivers water buybacks to ensure proper environmental flows