(Adopted February 2022)
The Queensland Greens believe that:
- An urgent and rapid transition to Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEV) and away from Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) is a vital step in addressing the fossil fuel driven climate crisis.
- Supporting the emerging manufacturing and employment opportunities that will become available as part of the transition to electric vehicles, batteries, fuel cells and green hydrogen is a crucial aspect of this adaptation.
- Careful and transparent planning is required to ensure that the transition to ZEV transportation benefits all Queenslanders.
The Queensland Greens will:
- Establish government funded facilities that provide leadership, best practice research, planning, support and training in relation to ZEVs.
- Increase funding for universities for research into ZEV technologies.
- Fund training programs for ZEV servicing & operation as a part of transitioning supporting industries.
- Extend existing and establish additional charging station networks, including fast charging stations, across urban and rural areas in Queensland.
- Support local Government and not for profit organisations in adapting their facilities to provide charging infrastructure.
- Provide subsidies to reduce the cost of zero emissions mass transport solutions.
- Investigate and implement measures to support the emerging EV industry in Queensland and adopt policy settings that encourage associated manufacturing jobs to remain in Queensland.
- Ensure battery technology, as used in ZEVs, will have a reuse and recycling industry established in Queensland.