COP15 deal for nature puts Australia on notice


Greens Environment Spokesperson Senator Sarah Hanson-Young, who has been in Montreal with the Australian Delegation for the global biodiversity conference COP15, said the new deal agreed overnight puts Australia on notice.

Senator Hanson-Young said:

"The world's agreement at this conference to protect 30 per cent of land and 30 per cent of oceans is important. The inclusion of a target to halt extinction by 2030 was the minimum commitment needed for species protection - it should be halted now. 

"The world has agreed and now it's time for Australia to get serious about protecting nature too. This agreement will come to nothing unless it's funded and implemented properly, and with urgency.

"In Australia halting extinction means governments must stop allowing the destruction of habitat and stop logging and mining in our native forests.

"There is no serious commitment to saving our animals while their homes are being destroyed by government sanctioned mines, logging and development. 

"The 30% protection target is a start, but the big question is how we care and protect the remaining 70% of our environment. We can't stop animals becoming extinct or keep our drinking water clean without reducing the human footprint on this planet. Reckless environmental destruction for the sake of corporate profits is killing Mother Nature.

"Australia will never be taken seriously while it continues to approve new polluting coal and gas mines. We must have a climate trigger in our laws to stop fossil fuel projects making the climate crisis worse. 

"We must use this new agreement as the impetus for immediate action. Our koalas need their homes saved now, not just what’s left in 10 years’ time."