No nuclear power, weapons or mining. Future generations must not be burdened with toxic nuclear waste for which there is no safe disposal.
The Australian Greens believe that:
- The world should be free of nuclear weapons and the nuclear fuel chain.
- There is a strong link between the mining and export of uranium and nuclear weapons proliferation.
- The use of nuclear weapons, nuclear accidents or attacks on reactors pose unacceptable risk of catastrophic consequences.
- Future generations must not be burdened with dangerous levels of radioactive waste.
- Nuclear power is not a safe, clean, timely, economic or practical solution to reducing global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Australia's reliance on the United States nuclear weapons 'umbrella' lends our bases, ports and infrastructure to the US nuclear war fighting apparatus, and is in conflict with our national sovereignty.
The Australian Greens want:
- A world free of nuclear power and nuclear weapons.
- The cessation of Australian uranium mining and export.
- Medical support and compensation provided to workers occupationally exposed to radiation.
- Compensation for the victims of British nuclear weapons testing in Australia, and rehabilitation of nuclear test sites.
- Uranium mining companies to be liable for rehabilitation of uranium mining sites and be subject to enforcement of standards to safely contain and monitor radioactive tailings wastes for at least 10,000 years.
- The rehabilitation of contaminated sites containing radioactive materials across Australia including former uranium mines milling sites, testing and exploration sites, research and production facilities and storage sites across the country.
- Closure of Australia's ports and territorial waters to nuclear-powered or nuclear-armed vessels.
- Removal from Australian territory of all facilities which enable deployment of nuclear weapons.
- Prohibition of food irradiation and the importation of such food.
- Prohibition of the importation and reprocessing of international nuclear waste and fuel rods.
- Closure of the OPAL nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights and development of non-reactor technologies, such as particle accelerators, for the production of radioisotopes for medical and scientific purposes
- Safe, long-term containment of Australia’s existing nuclear waste and the phasing out of the generation of new nuclear waste.
- The elimination of nuclear weapons, through a commitment to legally binding instruments to prohibit nuclear weapons.
- To support the creation of nuclear weapon free zones, municipalities and ports.
- To cease production and use of depleted uranium weapons.
- The prohibition of nuclear power plants and the promotion of safe, ecologically sustainable energy options.
- The prohibition of government funding of mining, research, development and commercialisation of technologies directly related to the enrichment or weaponisation of nuclear material.
- The prohibition of the mining and export of thorium.
[Policy endorsed: May 2018]