Since Labor privatised electricity retail in 2006, prices have nearly doubled. Meanwhile Labor is allowing private corporations to build virtually all the new power generation in Queensland. Queenslanders need jobs and they need lower costs of living, so rather than freeze mining royalties and tax Queenslanders via their electricity bills, we should increase royalties on mining corporations and create thousands of jobs through good public investment in renewable energy.
The Greens will:
- End electricity privatisation in Queensland: Establish Energy Queensland as a democratic, public authority responsible for all retail, network and generation in Queensland
- Create an average of 23,000 jobs a year building publicly owned renewable energy: Invest $25 billion through Energy Queensland in building 20,000MW of publicly owned wind, solar, and energy storage, including utility batteries and pumped hydro, over four years
- Cut electricity bills by 46%: Reverse Labor’s privatisation of electricity retail and stop the price gouging by state owned network and generation companies
- Unlock thousands of jobs in regional Qld: Invest $6.4 billion in new transmission lines, unlocking the enormous renewable energy potential across regional Queensland
- Reach 100% renewable energy by 2030: Build 100% publicly owned renewable energy
- Create good, secure jobs: Ban the use of labour hire for renewable energy projects and guarantee leave entitlements and sick pay for every job
- Give communities direct ownership of renewables: Establish a $2 billion fund to help communities establish cooperatively owned renewable energy projects
- Ensure cheap battery storage for every household: Establish a $1 billion household and small business battery storage rebate scheme
- Ensure a fair price for solar: Create a fairer feed-in tariff to ensure people get a fair price for their rooftop solar
Public owned electricity system
Electricity is an essential service that should be in public hands and run as a public service, not a for-profit corporation. The Greens would transform Energy Queensland into a democratic, efficient public authority covering retail, generation and networks. Energy Queensland would be run by a board comprised of electricity workers, First Nations people, regional Queenslanders and residents from South East Queensland.
A single public authority would be able to properly plan the transition to 100% publicly owned renewable energy creating the cheapest and most reliable energy system in Australia.
Cut electricity bills by 46%
Since Labor privatised electricity retail in 2006 prices have nearly doubled. The Greens will cut the average electricity bill in Queensland by 46% by scrapping private retailers, stopping price gouging by state owned generators and network companies and running the electricity system as a non-profit essential service. The average yearly energy bill in Queensland is $1450.
Savings broken down:
- Abolishing private retailers and establishing a non-profit energy authority, Energy Queensland - $74 per year
- Scrapping network dividends and competitive neutrality charges (stop state owned energy companies running like private corporations) - $294 per year
- Scrapping generation dividends and competitive neutrality charges - $299 per year
Create 23,000 jobs
The Greens will create on average 23,000 jobs a year across Queensland building 20,000MW of solar, wind and pumped hydro. The public investment will transform regional Queensland into thriving renewable energy hubs, laying the foundation for energy intensive manufacturing and industry.
Jobs Per Year
|Cairns & Far North Qld||1,485|
|Townsville & North Qld||4,799|
|Mackay & Proserpine||1,941|
|Longreach & Barcaldine||1,563|
|Wide Bay & Bundaberg||1,062|
|Logan & Beaudesert||651|
How will we pay for it
We will invest $25 billion over the next 4 years in productive, clean energy generation capacity, using debt-funded infrastructure investment and taking advantage of record low interest rates. A further $6.4 billion will be invested in network upgrades across Queensland, connecting rural and regional Queensland to the grid and unlocking thousands of MW of renewable energy. These productive, publicly owned assets will produce a modest return that will pay off the investment over time. Energy Queensland will be directed to only charge prices that ensure the initial investment is paid off, rather than making a profit like private corporations.
The Greens will invest $5.5 billion raised via higher mining royalties and a levy on the big banks to cover the lost dividend and neutrality fee revenue. Queenslanders are doing it tough, so big mining corporations and banks should pay a little bit more to ensure everyone can afford to live a good life.
1 Costings based on CSIRO GenCost 2020 ( High VRE scenario) https://aemo.com.au/-/media/files/electricity/nem/planning_and_forecasting/inputs-assumptions-methodologies/2019/csiro-gencost2019-20_draftforreview.pdf?la=en