The Greens will:
- End electricity privatisation in Queensland: Establish Energy Queensland as a democratic, public authority responsible for all retail, network and generation in Queensland
- Cut electricity bills by 46%: Reverse Labor’s privatisation of electricity retail and stop the price gouging by state owned network and generation companies
- Ensure cheap battery storage for every household: Establish a $1 billion household and small business battery storage rebate scheme
- Ensure a fair price for solar: Create a fairer feed-in tariff to ensure people get a fair price for their rooftop solar
Public owned electricity system
Electricity is an essential service that should be in public hands and run as a public service, not a for-profit corporation. The Greens would transform Energy Queensland into a democratic, efficient public authority covering retail, generation and networks. Energy Queensland would be run by a board comprised of electricity workers, First Nations people, regional Queenslanders and residents from South East Queensland.
A single public authority would be able to properly plan the transition to 100% publicly owned renewable energy creating the cheapest and most reliable energy system in Australia.
Cut electricity bills by 46%
Since Labor privatised electricity retail in 2006 prices have nearly doubled. The Greens will cut the average electricity bill in Queensland by 46% by scrapping private retailers, stopping price gouging by state owned generators and network companies and running the electricity system as a non-profit essential service. The average yearly energy bill in Queensland is $1450.
Savings broken down:
- Abolishing private retailers and establishing a non-profit energy authority, Energy Queensland - $74 per year
- Scrapping network dividends and competitive neutrality charges (stop state owned energy companies running like private corporations) - $294 per year
- Scrapping generation dividends and competitive neutrality charges - $299 per year