Brisbane, get the latest in your inbox:
Hi, I’m Stephen, and I'm your MP for Brisbane.
I was elected in the federal election on 21 May 2022, and I hold the Australian Greens’ portfolios of LGBTIQA+ and Youth. I graduated UQ with a Bachelor of Social Science with a Major in Social and Public Policy.
- More about Stephen
My interest in politics began when, while studying, I took an opportunity to work in the United States.
In the US, I experienced the consequences of a government that legislates people into poverty. I walked into the store room at my workplace. One of my co-workers was crying because she had to make a decision - pay for her insulin or her rent. I comforted her but I knew that there was nothing I could do. At this moment, a fire was lit inside of me, and I knew I had to make sure this situation could never happen to anyone back home in Australia.
I joined the Greens on the night of the 2019 Federal election, and forged an extraordinary grassroots campaign to win the seat of Brisbane.
Now, as your MP, I fight for everyday people and our communities, because I refuse corporate donations and I’m not beholden to their interests.
My top priorities:
- Tackling the climate crisis with 100% renewable energy by 2030, rebooting QLD manufacturing with solar panels, wind turbines, and green steel, and investing in public transport and high speed rail.
- Expanding our health system to fully cover dental and mental healthcare into Medicare.
- Getting corporate money out of politics by banning corporate donations and establishing a gold standard Federal ICAC to hold politicians to account.
- Ensuring that our country puts people before profits, be it in the fight against climate change and bad developments like Brisbane Airport’s new flight paths, or in the struggle for healthcare access and free education.
- Creating affordable, safe housing for all and enshrining robust renters rights.
The electorate of Brisbane is home to the second youngest voting demographic in Australia, as well as established community members who have made this city what it is today. It is a vibrant epicentre of arts, culture, sports and entertainment, and proudly hosts many of our LGBTQIA+ community venues, events and organisations.
I couldn’t be more grateful to have the opportunity to represent such a diverse and iconic part of the country. The best part of the job is meeting with you all and connecting with our community.
I want to hear about your issues, so please be encouraged to reach out. My team and I are here to help.