To the Honourable President and members of the Senate in Parliament assembled:
The petition of the undersigned shows:
The recent Paradise Papers, and last year’s Panama Papers, have confirmed that tax avoidance and tax evasion is an enormous worldwide problem that requires urgent attention. An estimated 10% of global turnover is being funneled into offshore tax havens, also known as secrecy jurisdictions. It is estimated that Australia is losing about $5 billion of corporate tax revenue a year. Multinational corporations and super wealthy individuals are routinely using offshore tax havens to avoid scrutiny. This loss of income from avoided tax is eroding the quality of public services, is fueling extreme inequality and is undermining the very fabric of civilisation.
Your petitioners ask that the Senate:
Call upon the Australian Government to:
- Cancel all tax treaties between Australia and those countries identified by Oxfam as being the top 15 corporate tax havens.
- Introduce a penalty rate of withholding tax on incoming and outgoing transactions between countries that do not exchange tax information with Australia.
- Suspend all trade negotiations—including the UK bilateral agreement—until all parties commit to the introduction of internationally agreed Base Erosion and Profit Shifting measures including within all territories under their jurisdiction.
- Include lawyers, accountants and real estate agents as providers of designated services within the scope of anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing laws.
- Finalise the establishment of a register of beneficial owners and the allocation of director identification numbers.